Tuesday, April 05, 2005

What are the great curling movies?

Yes yes partly it is a funny question. But not entirely.
Some Canadians might respond with Paul Gross' "Men With Brooms", which disappointed me terribly; one of those films where the concept exceeded the implementation. I expect that not even fans of "Due South"' outside Canada (and there must be such - on my first night in Belgium, as I turned on the TV in my hotel room, there it was!) found this very entertaining. And why be cruel to Canadians - I suspect few of us did - I know it left me cold.
For me the finest film that involves curling is the somewhat odd but completely brilliant "My Life So Far". This is a very minor film, but several key points in the plot turn on the local curling tournament, and the film portrays it quite credibly.


5 Comments:

At 4/06/2005 1:40 p.m., Blogger EclectEcon said...

I absolutely agree that "Men with Brooms" was mediocre at best and disappointing. The curling content was minor, the plot-line was thin, and the acting was poor. In the end, I can't remember whether we even bothered watching the entire movie.

 
At 4/08/2005 5:58 p.m., Blogger Birkel said...

Found you via The Sports Economist.

And gave you a link over at the BasketBlog.

I couldn't agree more about curling needing a movie. I'd go with a "Best in Show" or "A Mighty Wind" sort of thing.

It could be hilarious and introduce a lot of Americans to curling. Not to mention that director has a big following.

 
At 6/11/2012 12:36 p.m., Blogger Cyndy Eng-Dinsel said...

A new movie has come out by the Norwegians called "King Curling." additionally, there is a Turkish movie out there called "Süprr!" which translates into "Sweep!" There is also a zombie curling short somewhere.

 
At 9/30/2012 1:03 a.m., Blogger Unknown said...

I loved Men With Brooms. Some of the writing is just gorgeous , it's funny, if a bit juvenile.

 
At 12/11/2013 1:11 a.m., Blogger Bulls Eye said...

How about the James Bond movie, On Her Majesty's Secret Service? Fem bots curling in the Alps!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home