Sunday, March 05, 2006

Our Blog Called It Right:
B.C. Won The Scott 8-6

Before the 2006 Scott Tournament of Hearts began, I posted here that the British Columbia rink, skipped by Kelly Scott, would win the tournament.

[A]fter the way Kelly Scott and the British Columbia rink played in the Olympic playdowns, and given her rink's consistently good play over the past several years, I am picking her team to win The Scott.
Others up and down the media benches disagreed with me. They picked one of the Joneses or Cathy King.

B.C. had 9 wins and only 2 losses during the round robin, and (percentagewise) outcurled Saskatchewan in their extra-end defeat in the first draw of the tournament. And the B.C. victory over Nova Scotia in the first round of the play-offs was much more decisive than the score indicated, mostly because Kelly Scott significantly outcurled Colleen Jones.

For more discussion between Alan Adamson and me on our pre-tournament picks, and our general reflections on The Scott (recorded before the championship match), you can listen here.

2 Comments:

At 3/05/2006 7:27 p.m., Blogger Alan Adamson said...

I must confess that Colleen Jones was my (undocumented except verbally to Doc Palmer) choice. So only his half of this blog got it right. But I don't feel bad. Colleen and team played extremely well, and certainly justified more faith than Doc had earlier shown.

 
At 3/06/2006 7:12 a.m., Blogger EclectEcon said...

Let me confirm that, indeed, from the beginning, Alan had picked Colleen Jones to win The Scott in 2006 (for his reasons, listen to the audio clip linked to in the original posting).

I was impressed with Nova Scotia's performance this year. After their somewhat mediocre performances last year at The Scott and in December at the Olympic trials, I thought they deserved their low ranking, coming into the tournament. But they played well throughout the round robin, and Alan saw that coming.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home