Friday, January 26, 2007

the Importance of the Lead

Regular readers will know that I began curling on a couple of years ago and I'm not very good, to put it gently. This information leads to two related points:
  1. If you had a really crappy player on your team, where would you play him. Almost surely you would not want him as skip or vice, because those positions can cost the team a whole lot of points if they miss their shots.

    Second is a good place for such a person, especially if they can through up-weight with any accuracy. But first, or lead, might be better if they have little idea how to throw the desired weight and miss the broom a lot (which describes me).

  2. Man, are lead rocks important. I have learned the hard way that when I sort of make my shots, our team is likely to score and score a lot; but when I miss my shots, we tend to give up a lot of points.
I'm not the sole determinant of how the team does; I know that. These are probablistic statements. But they sure seem to have a lot of merit.

1 Comments:

At 1/29/2007 10:31 a.m., Blogger Unknown said...

You're right, the lead rocks are so important. If your lead isn't setting things up for you, you're fighting from behind every end. If you have a lead that can get you in good position and put the other team on the defensive right away, you can afford for your second to miss now and then.

If your lead and second are of equal calibre, I would put the player with good guard/draw weight at lead, and put the better hitter at second.

Keep your stick on the ice,
Marc

 

Post a Comment

<< Home