Tuesday, April 07, 2009

TSN: Show Curling, Please

Last year, when we learned that TSN would have the exclusive (does CurlTV count?) coverage of major curling events in Canada, we speculated that perhaps with their monopoly TSN would get sloppy and unresponsive.

Judging from what we have seen, that is exactly what has happened. Let me second Alan's concerns. These particular parts of his live-blogging from tonight's game struck me as both hilarious and spot on:
I am getting really peeved not seeing any shots in an end until the last lead shot. Thanks, TSN, for this useless coverage. ...

This really pisses me off. Several rocks are in play and I have no idea how they got there. ...

TSN decide to babble with Pia Lindholm, skip of a team that did not make this championship. Thanks, idiots. Nice to know his wife is birthing, Sheesh, I hardly now want to report this end. What excuse is this for sports coverage? Is this the worst of the NBC Olympic Coverage again? ...

I am sure we are all already missing the first couple of shots of the next end. Is there anyone out there willing to admit he/she would get a Capital One card because of Jennifer Jones shouting hard and easy? In fact, my own reaction is that I will studiously avoid getting such a card. Sorry, TSN, they seem to be your sole advertiser, an ominous thought. ...

This is ridiculous - we are almost halfway into the end? What isin their brains? Do they actually get a large audience who find the early shots irrelevant? I guess they think so. ...

Maybe TSN could just put a bunch of rocks out and let the thirds and skips play out the ends. Like limited-overs cricket it could speed the sport up.
Let me just add that the problem with TSN's coverage is not just that they are missing the early shots (though that is VERY annoying). It's also that Ray, especially, but the others, too, seem bored. As a result they blather about all sorts of things and divert attention away from the curling. I don't watch the coverage to hear cute little in-jokes and repartee between the announcers.

This is clear evidence of the value of competition. TSN seemed much better when they had to prove they were as good as, or better than, CBC.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home