Sunday, February 07, 2010

2010 Scott Tournament of Hearts - Extra End
Team Canada Wins!

Carmody really pushed the hammer out on her last shot of the 10th end. PEI was shot, so that rock scored. Now CAN has the hammer and better-than-even odds to repeat as champs. Let's see how they play it.

Through ten ends, Jones out-curled Carmody, but overall PEI out-curled CAN by 5 percentage points.

  • centre guard by PEI's Affleck
  • draw around it to top full 8 by CAN's Askin
  • draw around to back full 8 by Affleck
  • tap CAN rock to top 4, leave CAN shooter in 8
Nuts. lost some of what I'd written.

Guards are gone with the second's stones. Ramsay puts up a sentre guard. CathyO peels it. Another guard from Ramsay. CathyO peels it. Carmody guards with her first stone (a slight tap might have caused problems for CAN). CAN takes a time out. Jones wants to draw to the edge of the top 4 and convinces the rest of the team of the efficaciousness of the strategy.

The Jones draw is about 3" too deep, setting up a possible draw/freeze for Carmody, which would likely lead to a steal and a win for PEI. She didn't freeze it (a tad heavy), though, leaving a similar tap for Jones to win. Jones picks it and wins.

Team Canada three-peats in a very impressive come-back!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 2/07/2010 6:19 p.m., Blogger hooper said...

Man, you have to feel for PEI, though. Does anybody know long O'Rourke plans on curling at this level? The other three seem young enough to be the core of a team well into the future, but I have no idea on O'Rourke and I don't dare speculate.

But I love to see these games come down to final shots. And thanks again for the running commentary. That's a HUGE help here in the States.

 
At 2/07/2010 6:58 p.m., Blogger DG said...

Love you guys to death for doing this. Thanks so much.

Also, YES YES YES YES YES GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO JJONES!!

 
At 2/07/2010 7:39 p.m., Blogger EclectEcon said...

Hooper, you're right. You sure do have to feel for the PEI rink. When I first saw them at the beginning of the week, I though they were horrible, but by the end of the week, I was pretty impressed. I see now why and how they de-throned Suzanne Gaudet. I can imagine they'll be around for awhile, but no idea how long Kathy O'Rourke will be. She and Ramsay seemed a little weaker than the other two, but as a team they were pretty good.

Thanks for the feedback to both you and DG. Sometimes it seems pointless to be doing these things, but we get a kick out of it and we're glad others enjoy it.

 
At 2/07/2010 7:56 p.m., Blogger hooper said...

I really don't know anything about Team PEI other than what I saw this tourney, but O'Rourke strikes me much like Lang for Ontario - that veteran who is there to teach the young players to be a competitive team, then eventually giving way to the fourth player. With O'Rourke throwing second stones, it seems that filling in the fourth should transition easily, much like Ontario did.

If so, I'd guess that it would happen shortly after Carmody takes over skipping duties. But again, I'm totally speculating on this.

I'll be lurking around during the Olympics as well. And I'll do my best to get a few more fellow Americans interested in the sport in the meantime. So please keep it up if you can. :-D

 
At 2/07/2010 8:00 p.m., Blogger EclectEcon said...

No promises as to what we might be able to cover in the future. Who knows what we'll see from the Olympics, and I'll be traveling much of that time.

I got the impression that Carmody was the last to join the PEI rink, invited by O'Rourke. You're right, though, it'll be interesting to watch the evolution of the team.

Thanks again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home