Thursday, February 10, 2011

What Is With All the Early Resignations?

As I intermittently follow the scores of the provincial curling championships in Ontario and Alberta, I am struck by the inordinately large number of early resignations.

Why do teams resign so early? Is it to save their own energy for later games? Is it to avoid the extreme embarrassment of even larger trouncings? Is it to let the victors rest a bit more in preparation for later matches?

This may be short-sighted of me, but if I were losing big-time to one of the top-seeded teams, I'd want to keep playing. I'd want the extra experience and the additional challenge. I guess it doesn't work that way in provincial championships, though.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 2/11/2011 8:48 a.m., Blogger Unknown said...

It's a long week, playing two ten (or eleven) end games a day. Realistically, when you're down big to Howard or Corner, or pretty much any team in this field, you're not going to come back. Once you give up a 4 or 6 ender to Howard, you will not find yourself with the opportunity to score a 6 yourself.

Teams that have a bad game know it's best to shake it off, get off the ice and get back at it the next game.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home