Sunday, April 06, 2008

Open Letter to the World Curling Federation.

I have just sent the following message to the World Curling Federation:
I'm sure you have heard from many others, but let me lend my voice to the complaints from Canadian curling fans:

1. Why on earth did the WCF negotiate a broadcast contract that does not permit us to watch ANY curling on television during the remainder of the round-robin?

2. CBC is allegedly webstreaming the games involving the Canadian team, but they are not doing so for draw #4.

3. In other words, the largest curling fan base in the world has been completely frozen out of the 2008 World Curling Championships.

This is a pathetic disregard for the fans and cannot help but have a detrimental effect on the popularity of the game.
At this point, I am tempted to lobby that the WCF be disbanded; or at the very least, its directors be removed from office.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 4/06/2008 5:14 p.m., Blogger Alan Adamson said...

Are you sure it is the WCF and not the broadcasters calculating that people like you and me are weird, and likely not very responsive to advertisers? I have become suspicious, watching TSN broadcasts dominated by ads for Strauss Herbal, that maybe there is NO audience that makes advertisers interested enough to cough up real money?
I have the gloomy feeling that curling as a TV spectator sport is dead except for Olympic trials and Olympics.
A sad and sorry outcome, I think. I remember what seemed to be better days, but maybe it was just gubmnt subsidies back then.

 
At 4/06/2008 6:47 p.m., Blogger catester said...

Good luck with that getting the WCF disbanded project.

 
At 4/12/2008 2:43 p.m., Blogger RoyLaVal said...

As a broadcaster when the CBC was god to radio (prior to Canadian TV)I would like to see the CBC relegated to private industry and not subsidized by the pittance of advertising it garners and the balance coming from the Canadian taxpayer. It does NOT represent the interests of the majority of Canadians and its efforts in coverage of the Men's World Curling Championships was feeble to say the least. Also I believe the WCF is too far removed from the demography of curling. There are more participating curlers in Canada than anywhere else in the world. Why not recognize this. I really think Canada should create its own world curling competition with commercial sponsorship that represents the curlers of the world and not some bureaucratic handfull of limited international interests.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home