Thursday, February 24, 2011

If In Doubt, Measure!

At the conclusion of the second end of the match between Nova Scotia and Alberta, there were two rocks that were pretty close, but to nearly everyone's eyes, it looked as if the Alberta (yellow) rock was shot rock. But Nova Scotia wisely asked for a measurement, recalling that BC lost a point earlier in the tournament by misjudging whether a rock was in the rings.

It turned out the measurement showed the Nova Scotia rock was noticeably closer to the pin.

Makes me wonder about the accuracy of the painting of those rings in Charlottetown.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 2/24/2011 11:07 a.m., Blogger Alan Adamson said...

It sure does. In the BC case I thought the camera made it clear the offending rock was out of the rings; my belief might have been weakened had I assumed that the camera was shooting outward from a position above the button (which may be a false assumption - I will look closely at the cameras at the Brier).
In the end I doubt it was a matter of perspective, but rather, as you suggest, the painting of the ice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home