Saturday, March 12, 2011

Brier Bronze Medal Game

As I noted with my puzzlement during the Scotties, this is an innovation.
Iti s not an innovation the players much like, and I understand why. The marginal financial benefit to them is likely minimal, even though it is pretty significant to the CCA.
The freshest commentary comes from Kevin Martin right after his loss this afternoon.
"Please make this go away," said Martin after the loss. "We gave everything we had this week and we played a heck of a game against Glenn (Howard) and they played a heck of a game against us and they won. Why do we have to go out now and do it again? I just don't understand it."
And Marc Kennedy is voting with his feet.
While Martin's team will show up for Sunday's game against the loser of Saturday night's semi-final between Howard and Brad Gushue of Newfoundland and Labrador, they will likely be without second Marc Kennedy, whose wife is expecting a child any day now.
"I would hope that Marc (Kennedy) goes home," said Martin. "I'm going to tell him to go home because he's got to be home. There's no reason for him to be here so I hope that he'll do that. The rest of us will play."
Had the bronze medal game been part of Brier tradition I imagine it would be better received. But it is not. This is new, and while I rather buy into the idea that if it is done at Worlds then it can be done here, I also suspect other motives.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home