Friday, April 01, 2011

Outlook for The 2011 Men's World Curling Championship

Alan is here in Regina, now, and we have had a chance to talk a bit about our expectations. Here are my thoughts, subject of course to major revision...

First, I don't see how any team other than the Stoughton rink from Canada can be assumed to be the favourite, going into the tournament. Stoughton beat the best rinks in Canada, and did so convincingly, to win the right to represent Canada here. I would be very surprised if Canada doesn't make the playoffs and almost as surprised if they aren't in the final, gold medal game. I give them the edge to win the final, but they will be up against another important competitor...

The Ulsrud rink from Norway is excellent. They have come close several times in the recent past, and they have a decent chance of winning the gold here in Regina. I am expecting the final game will be between these two teams, but I wouldn't bet the ranch on that.

Beyond these two rinks, as usual Andy Kapp from Germany can have upset wins now and then, but I really doubt he will make it to the final game. And, quite frankly, I have no idea what to expect from the other teams in the tournament. Here's hoping for some exciting, high quality curling to keep us on the edges of our seats.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home