The Line-up for the 2011 Scott Tournament of Hearts
There is a good summary of the lineup, including references to all the teams' prior accomplishments, at this site. As a summary, here is a list of the teams that will be competing next week:
- Territories/Yukon: Kerry Koe Galusha
- BC: Kelly Scott
- Alberta: Shannon Kleibrink
- Saskatchewan: Amber Holland
- Manitoba: Cathy Overton-Clapham
- Ontario: Rachel Homan
- Quebec: Marie-France Larouche
- New Brunswick: Andrea Kelly
- Nova Scotia: Heather Smith-Dacey
- PEI: Suzanne Gaudet Birt
- Newfoundland: Stacie Devereaux
- Canada: Jennifer Jones
Even though there is a lot of experience in the field, there are no outstandingly strong teams that look as if they will dominate the tournament.
- Jennifer Jones could repeat, but she did not look great at the worlds last year, and it will be interesting to see how she does without Cathy O as vice-skip.
- And, of course, it will be fun to see Cathy O skipping on her own.
- Kelly Scott is usually a strong contender and will likely be in the play-offs again this year.
- Shannon Kleibrink, with a new front end after the 2006 Olympics, finished well in the Alberta championships this year.
- But my money is on the young upstarts from Ontario, who were world junior champions last year [correction: as Mark reminds me in the comments, they were silver medalists]. Rachel Homan and her rink took people a bit by surprise in the Ontario playdowns and could well, despite their youth (or maybe because of it) surprise even more people by finishing well at the Scott.
Labels: 2011 Scott